If you’re in management, you know how important employee engagement is. Without it, your company won’t be as successful as it should be. But how can you get employees to be more productive when you aren’t in the position to hand out raises? Read on to find ways you can motivate employees and keep them engaged without breaking your bank account.
According to Tim Rutledge, author of the book, Getting Engaged: The New Workplace Loyalty, an engaged employee is a person that is committed, inspired by, and passionate about his or her job. They care about the future of the company and will go above and beyond what is expected of them in order for the company to be successful.
According to a recent Gallup Poll, 34.1% of U.S. employees are “engaged” at work. That’s the highest it’s been since Gallup began tracking employee engagement back in January 2011. But what about the other 65.9%? Shouldn’t they care whether or not the company they work for is successful? After all, you’re signing their paychecks. The Gallup Poll clearly tells us that for one reason or another, employees aren’t as excited about their jobs as they should be.
As a manager, you may find it difficult keeping your employees productive. Author and CEO of Root, Inc, Jim Haudan says that it is management that’s responsible for creating a high-performing work environment. When you don’t have that, employees become disengaged and unproductive. With that being said, there are many reasons employees have for not caring about their workplace.
Part of management’s responsibility is to keep employee productivity and morale high. Not an easy task when raises aren’t being given and employee engagement is low or nonexistent. By doing these 5 simple things, you can turn disengaged employees into engaged.
In the end, keeping employees engaged starts with you. If they don’t see you putting in an effort, they won’t either. Give Southwest EAP a try. We have the tools you need to keep employees engaged, productive, and on the right track to success.